(919)589-5231 dbrown@apeximm.org

Our Services

AIS provides education to the general public and potential clients on immigration matters and helps clients file applications for immigration benefits to include: legal permanent residence (Green Cards); U.S. Citizenship; travel documents; and family visas.

​AIS’ services are primarily directed toward refugees and immigrants falling under federal poverty guidelines. Its legal fees are therefor set at low, affordable rates and include a sliding scale based on ability to pay.   ​

We primarily serve the Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex areas and Wake County, Robeson County, Lee County and Chatham County

Permanent Residency

AIS helps immigrants with a family-based path apply for legal permanent residency in the United States.  Often this is a two-step process requiring the following:

Step One:     I-130 | Petition for Alien Relative.
A qualifying family member applies for a visa for a relative wishing to become a legal permanent resident of the United States.

Step Two:      Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Once the visa is granted, the relative may apply for a Green Card.

Refugees enter the United States with a status that allows them to live and work here indefinitely.  After one year, they are required to file for lawful permanent resident status and receive their Green Card. AIS assists refugees and asylees in applications for permanent residency.

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

AIS also provides support for applications to renew or replace Green Cards.

I-90 | Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card


AIS provides assistance and support for immigrants and refugees seeking to become United States citizens.   This includes assistance with basic citizenship applications, providing support for applicants to meet English and Civics requirements, and helping applicants prepare for citizenship interviews.

N-400 | Application for Naturalization

N-600 | Application for Certificate of Citizenship

Other Supported Applications

AIS provides support for basic applications for overseas travel and employment.

I-131 | Application for Travel Document

I-765 | Application for Employment Authorization (for refugees only)

NOTE: To Immigrants, Refugees and Volunteers

Please DO NOT EVER give legal advice to another immigrant or refugee or help them fill out any immigration forms. Only licensed attorneys specializing in immigration law and representatives who are accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals are authorized to provide immigration legal advice. It is ILLEGAL for those who are NOT AUTHORIZED to engage in the practice of law and unless you are trained in this area, you can harm someone’s immigration status or application for an immigration benefit by trying to help them.